CSE 331: Introduction to Algorithm Analysis and Design
|Phone:|| (716) 645-2464|
|Office:|| 123 Bell Hall|
|Office Hours:|| Wednesdays, 11:00-11:50am|
|Office:|| Commons 19 (CSE suite)|
|Office Hours:|| Wednesdays, noon-12:50pm||
Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 1:00-1:50pm.
Monday, 9:00-9:50am (120 BALDY).
Monday, 11:00-11:50am (213 NORTON).
Tuesday, 8:00-8:50am (260 CAPEN).
We will be using a blog for the
course in lieu of a course newsgroup. All announcements will be made on the blog.
If you are attending the course,
you must check the blog regularly (and consider subscribing to the
Important: Please refer to this document for homework policies.
- Homework 1. (Due: Friday, Sep 18)
- Homework 2. (Due: Friday, Sep 25)
- Homework 3. (Due: Friday, Oct 2)
- Homework 4. (Due: Friday, Oct 9 except
the last problem, which is due on Oct 16)
- Homework 6. (Due: Friday, Oct 30)
- Homework 7. (Due: Friday, Nov 6)
- Homework 8. (Due: Friday, Nov 13)
- Homework 9. (Due: Friday, Nov 20)
- Homework 10. (Due: Friday, Dec 11)
We will be using the following textbook:
Occasionally, we will cover topics outside of the textbook: in such cases,
supplementary material will be provided.
The following references could also be useful
We will have roughly 13 weeks worth of classes. Here is a tentative
list of topics that we will cover (KT refers to the textbook):
Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4. (Addison
- Alfred V. Aho,
John E. Hopcroft and
Jeffrey Ullman, Data Structures
and Algorithms. (Addison Wesley,
H. Cormen, Charles
E. Leiserson, Ronald
Rivest, and Clifford
Stein, Introduction to Algorithms (2e).
- Introduction [KT, Chap 1]-- 1 week.
- Asymptotic Analysis [KT, Chap 2]-- 1 week.
- Graph Basics [KT, Chap 3]-- 1 week.
- Greedy Algorithms [KT, Chap 4]-- 3 weeks.
- Divide and Conquer Algorithms [KT, Chap 5]-- 3 weeks.
- Dynamic Programming [KT, Chap 6]-- 4 weeks.
- NP-completeness and other advanced topics [KT, Chap 8]-- 1 week.
We have zero tolerance for cheating and will follow the
CSE Department Policies on Academic Integrity.