Department of Computer Science and Engineering
neetipok 'at' buffalo 'dot' edu
I am a Ph.D student in CSE Department at State University of New York, Buffalo under the guidance of Prof. Venu Govindaraju. My research interests include Data Mining and Machine Learning. I am interested in working on challenging problems with broader social impact in an interdisciplinary environment.
My research work on Virtual Networks and Poverty Analysis in Sub-Saharan African country, Senegal, received the National Statistics Prize in Data for Development Challenge (2015), held at NetMob, MIT, 2015. Press release
This work received financial support by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, involved travelling to the beautiful West African nation of Senegal, and working in close collaboration with the National Statistics Office of Senegal and telco company, Orange, to build spatially detailed poverty maps, using Call Data Records. This study opens doors for multidisciplinary initiatives to tackle poverty and its determinants, using novel big data sources, or statistical methods, integrated with traditional census/surveys.
Our work was featured @ Brookings.eduBig Data for improved diagnosis of poverty: A case study of Senegal. Also in UB ReporterPinpointing poverty with cellphone data.
Prior to joining the Ph.D. program, I was a Researcher in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN. I have completed my Masters in Computer Science from University of California, Riverside, where I was the recipient of Dean's Distinguished Fellowship.
- Virtual Networks and Poverty Analysis in Senegal, Neeti Pokhriyal, Wen Dong, Venu Govindaraju, D4D, NetMob, April 2015 Paper
- Analysis of nucleosome positioning landscapes enables gene discovery in the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum, Xueqing M. Lu, Evelien M. Bunnik, Neeti Pokhriyal, Sara Nasseri, Stefano Lonardi and Karine G. Le Roch, BMC Genomics, 2015.
- A Large-scale Study of Language Usage as a Cognitive Biometric Trait, Neeti Pokhriyal, Ifeoma Nwogu, Venugopal Govindaraju, Elsevier Handbook on Big Data Analytics, 2015 (Invited).
- Use of Language as a Cognitive Biometric Trait, Neeti Pokhriyal, Ifeoma Nwogu, Venugopal Govindaraju, Proceedings of IEEE International Joint Conference on Biometrics, September, 2014.
- Novel Gene Discovery in the Human Malaria Parasite using Nucleosome Positioning Data, Neeti Pokhriyal, Nadia Ponts, Elena Harris, Karine Le Roch and Stefano Lonardi, In Proceedings of Ninth International Conference on Computational Systems Bioinformatics (Acceptance Rate 30/135=22%), vol. 9, p. 124-135, Stanford, CA, August, 2010.
- Anomaly Detection for High Fidelity Core Simulators, Neeti Pokhriyal, Ugur Mertyurek, Andrew Godfrey, Jay Jay Billings, In Proc. of the American Nuclear Society Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Knowledge Discovery from Nuclear Reactor Simulation Data, Neeti Pokhriyal, Ugur Mertyurek, Andrew Godfrey, Jay Jay Billings, Presented at the 2nd International Workshop\ on Analytics for Cyber-Physical Systems (ACS-2013) in conjunction with SIAM International Data Mining Conference, 2013.