Lecture Notes 9/1/10
Last Update: 13 September 2010
material is highlighted
Note: A username and password may be required to access certain
- Today, we finished discussing what discrete math is.
For a summary, see:
- Then, we discussed why it was worth studying discrete math.
For a summary, see "Why might this course be
- Finally, we began our study of logic:
- Logic is the mathematical theory of "correct" reasoning &
George Boole (of "Boolean variables" fame) called it
"laws of thought"
- Besides the mathematical theory of logic, there
is also a psychological theory of
how people actually
reason (this is a branch of cognitive science).
- And there is a computational theory of how
to get computers to reason…
either correctly, as in the branch of AI called
"knowledge representation &
or like humans, as in the branch of
AI and computational cognitive science that studies human
reasoning; see link
- Logic is at the foundation of math
…and of CS (as in the
Theory of Computation, CSE 396)
…and of CEN (logic gates are the fundamental building
blocks of electronic circuits)
Text copyright © 2010 by William J. Rapaport
Cartoon links and screen-captures appear here for your enjoyment.
They are not meant to infringe on any copyrights held by the creators.
For more information on any cartoon, click on it, or contact me.