Virtual HW #6
Last Update: 20 February 2008
material is highlighted
Reminder: Each HW problem solution should consist of:
- a restatement of the entire problem (you may copy it word for word),
- followed by a complete solution with all intermediate steps shown.
Exercises are from §1.6, p. 85 (introduction to proofs).
- Hint: Odd(n) =def ∃x[n = 2x + 1]
- Suggestion: Try Proof by Contraposition.
Hint: You may appeal to problem #6, above.
- Suggestion: The instructor's answer manual suggests using
Proof by Contradiction.
But I think you might find it easier to try
using Proof by Cases (see pp. 86-90).
NOT DUE: ANSWERS WILL BE POSTED ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27|
Copyright © 2009 by
William J. Rapaport