CSE 736 - Markov Chains: Foundations and Applications
- Here is a list of topics and papers suggested for your presentation. This
list shall be improved and updated considerably. Again, please feel free
to pick your own topic and discuss it with me.
- The more number of x's, the more I would like
to see the paper presented.
- Lastly, the papers listed for a particular topic are, in some cases, not
sufficient for a survey on that topic. They are listed as the first starting
1. Miscellaneous Network Theory
- (x) R. L. Cruz, A calculus for network delay,
Part I: Network elements in isolation, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 37 (1991),
- (x) R. L. Cruz, A calculus for network delay,
Part II: Network analysis, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 37 (1991), pp. 132--141.
- C. E. Shannon, ``A mathematical theory of
communication,'' Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 27, pp. 379-423 and
623-656, July and October, 1948.
- (xx) Mark Jerrum and Alistair Sinclair and
Eric Vigoda, A polynomial-time approximation
algorithm for the permanent of a matrix with non-negative entries, Proceedings
of the thirty-third annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing, pp. 712--721,
- (xx) Ravi Kannan and Prasad Tetali and Santosh
Vempala, Simple Markov-chain algorithms
for generating bipartite graphs and tournaments, Proceedings of the eighth
annual ACM-SIAM symposium on Discrete algorithms, pp. 193--200, 1997.
- David Bruce Wilson, Generating random
spanning trees more quickly than the cover time, Proceedings of the twenty-eighth
annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing, 296--303, 1996.
3. Blocking Probability
- (xxx) Ellen Witte Zegura, Evaluating
blocking probability in generalized connectors, IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking (TON), v.3 (1995) n.4, pp. 387--398
- (xxx) E. Valdimarsson, "Blocking in multirate
networks," in Proc. INFO- COM'91, pp. 579-588, 1991.
- (xxx) W. Zegura, "Evaluating
blocking probability in distributors," in Proc. INFOCOM'93, Mar.
1993, pp. 1107-1116.
- (x) Y. Yang and J. Wang, ``On
blocking probability of multicast networks,'' IEEE Transactions on Communications,
vol. 46, no. 7, July 1998, pp. 957-968.
- (xx) M.P. Haynos and Y. Yang, ``An
analytical model on the blocking probability of a fault-tolerant network,''
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, special issue on Fault-Tolerant
Routing, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1040-1051, October 1999.
- (x) Y. Yang and J. Wang, ``A
more accurate analytical model on blocking probability of multicast networks,''
IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1930-1936, Nov.
- (xx) Chung, Shun-Ping, Kashper, Arik, Ross,
Keith W., "Computing approximate blocking probabilities for large loss
networks with state-dependent routing", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking,
Vol.1, No. 1 (Feb. 1993), pp. 105-115
- (x) Birman, A., "Computing
approximate blocking probabilities for a class of all-optical networks",
Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer
and Communication Societies (Vol. 2).
- (x) T. Tripathi and K. N. Sivarajan. Computing
Approximate Blocking Probabilities in Wavelength Routed All-Optical Networks
with Limited-Range Wavelength Conversion. Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'99., March,
- (xx) Yuhong Zhu and George N. Rouskas and Harry
G. Perros, A path decomposition
approach for computing blocking probabilities in wavelength-routing networks,
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol.8, No. 6 (2000), pp. 747--762
- (xx) Sridhar Ramesh and George N. Rouskas and
Harry G. Perros, Computing
blocking probabilities in multiclass wavelength routing networks, ACM
Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation (TOMACS), vol. 10 (2000),
no. 2, pp. 87--103.
4. Optical Networks
- (xx) Han S. Kim , Ness B. Shroff, Loss
probability calculations and asymptotic analysis for finite buffer multiplexers,
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), v.9 n.6, pp.755-768, December 2001
- (xx) Jinwoo Choe and Ness B. Shroff, A
central-limit-theorem-based approach for analyzing queue behavior in high-speed
networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), v.6 n.5, pp.659--671,
- (x) Qiu and Knightly, Measurement-based
admission control with aggregate traffic envelopes, IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking (TON), v.9 n.2, p.199-210, April 2001
- (xx) Ramu Ramamurthy and Biswanath Mukherjee,
Fixed-alternate routing and wavelength
conversion in wavelength-routed optical networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking (TON), v.10 n.3, pp.1063-6692, 2002.
- (x) George Kesidis and Jean Walrand and Cheng-Shang
Chang, Effective bandwidths for multiclass
Markov fluids and other ATM sources, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
(TON), v.1 n.4, pp.424-428, 1993.
5. Interconnection Networks & TCP/IP
- (xx) Peter G. Harrison, Naresh M. Patel: The
Representation of Multistage Interconnection Networks in Queuing Models of
Parallel Systems. JACM 37(4): pp. 863-898 (1990)
- (xx) Micah Adler, Tradeoffs
in probabilistic packet marking for IP traceback, Proceedings of the thiry-fourth
annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing, pp. 407--418, 2002, Montreal,
- (xx) Leslie Ann Goldberg and Philip D. Mackenzie
and Mike Paterson and Aravind Srinivasan, Contention
resolution with constant expected delay, Journal of the ACM (JACM), vol
47 (2000), no. 6, pp 1048--1096.
- (x) Sally Floyd, Van Jacobson, The
synchronization of periodic routing messages, IEEE/ACM Transactions on
Networking (TON), v.2 n.2, pp. 122--136, 1994.
- (x) Zhen Liu, Philippe Nain and Don Towsley,
Exponential bounds with applications to call
admission, Journal of the ACM (JACM), vol 44 (1997), no. 3, pp. 366--394
- (x) Sheng Ma and Chuanyi Ji, Modeling
heterogeneous network traffic in wavelet domain, IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking (TON), v.9 n.5, pp. 634--649, 2001.
- (x) Hannu Rummukainen and Jorma Virtamo, Polynomial
cost approximations in markov decision theory based call admission control,
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), v.9 n.6, pp. 769--779, 2001.
- Sanjay Shakkottai and Anurag Kumar and Aditya Karnik and Ajit Anvekar, TCP
performance over end-to-end rate control and stochastic available capacity,
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), v.9 n.4, pp. 377--391, 2001.
6. Mobile/Wireless Networks
- (xx) Nidhi Hegde and Khosrow Sohraby, Blocking
in large mobile cellular networks with bursty traffic, Proceedings of
the 2001 ACM SIGMETRICS international conference on Measurement and modeling
of computer systems, pp. 123--132, 2001.
- (x) Attahiru Sule Alfa and Wei Li, A
homogeneous PCS network with markov call arrival process and phase type cell
residence time, Wireless Networks, vol. 8 (2002), no. 2, 297--305.
- (x) Novella Bartolini, Handoff
and optimal channel assignment in wireless networks, Mobile Networks and
Applications, vol. 6 (2001), no. 6, pp. 511--524.
- (x) Michele Zorzi and Ramesh R. Rao, Energy
efficiency of TCP in a local wireless environment, Mobile Networks and
Applications, vol. 6 (2001), no. 3, pp. 265--278.
- (x) Hisashi Kobayashi and Shun-Zheng Yu and
Brian L. Mark, An integrated mobility
and traffic model for resource allocation in wireless networks, Proceedings
of the third ACM international workshop on Wireless mobile multimedia, pp.
- (x) Almudena Konrad and Ben Y. Zhao and Anthony
D. Joseph and Reiner Ludwig, A Markov-based
channel model algorithm for wireless networks, Proceedings of the 4th
ACM international workshop on Modeling, analysis and simulation of wireless
and mobile systems, 28--36, 2001.
- (xx) Michele Zorzi and Ramesh R. Rao, Performance
of ARQ Go-Back-N protocol in Markov channels with unreliable feedback,
Mobile Networks and Applications, vol 2. (1997), no. 2, pp. 183--193.
- Francesco Lo Presti and Vincenzo Grassi, Markov
analysis of the PRMA protocol for local wireless networks, Wireless Networks,
vol. 4 (1998), no. 4, pp. 297--306.
7. Queueing Models
- Ao Tang et al., Understanding CHOKe,
- Parijat Dube, Eitan Altman, "Queueing
Analysis of Early Message Discarding Policy," in the proc. of IEEE
ICC 2002, April 28-May 2, 2002, New York City, USA.
- Parijat Dube, Eitan Altman, Goodput Analysis of a Fluid Queue with Selective
Burst Discarding and a Responsive Bursty Source, INFOCOM'03
- Marcel F. Neuts, Jun Guo, Moshe Zukerman, Hai Le Vu, The Waiting Time
Distribution for a TDMA Model with a Finite Buffer, INFOCOM'03
- Jacqueline Boyer, Fabrice Guillemin, Philippe Robert, Bert Zwart, Heavy
tailed M/G/1-PS queues with impatience and admission control in packet networks,