Matthew G. Knepley received his B.S. in Physics from Case Western Reserve University in 1994, an M.S. in Computer Science from the University of Minnesota in 1996, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Purdue University in 2000. He was a Research Scientist at Akamai Technologies in 2000 and 2001. Afterwards, he joined the Mathematics and Computer Science department at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), where he was an Assistant Computational Mathematician, and a Fellow in the Computation Institute at University of Chicago. In 2009, he joined the Computation Institute as a Senior Research Associate. In 2015, he joined the Computational and Applied Mathematics Department at Rice University as an Assistant Professor. His research focuses on scientific computation, including fast methods, parallel computing, software development, numerical analysis, and multicore architectures. He is an author of the widely used PETSc library for scientific computing from ANL, and is a principal designer of the PetFMM and PetRBF libraries, for the parallel fast multipole method and parallel radial basis function interpolation. He was a J.T. Oden Faculty Research Fellow at the Insitute for Computation Engineering and Sciences, UT Austin, in 2008. He won the R&D 100 Award in 2009, and the SIAM/ACM Prize in Computational Science and Engineering in 2015 as part of the PETSc team.
Committees and Visitation
- Chair of Computational Science Working Group of the NSF Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics project (2013-Present)
- Executive Committee of the NSF Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics project (2011-2014)
- Technical Papers Committee for Supercomputing 2014
- Technical Papers Committee for Supercomputing 2013
- Adjunct Computational Mathematician, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, (2009-Present)
- Fellow, Computation Institute, University of Chicago, (2008-2015)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Molecular Biophysics and Physiology, Rush University Medical Center (2006-2014)
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, School of Mathematical Sciences, Monash University, (2010-2013)
- Guest Researcher, Center for Biomedical Computing, Simula Research, Oslo Norway (2007, 2008, 2010, 2011)
- Guest Researcher, Szechenyi Istvan University, Gyor, Hungary (2010, 2011, 2012)
- Program Committee, PMAA 14
- Program Committee, Implementing Solvers in CitcomCU and CitcomS Workshop, September 16-17, 2013 in Davis, CA.
- Program Committee, International Workshop of GPU Solutions to Multiscale Problems in Science and Engineering, July 29-August 2, 2013 in Changchun, Jilin, China.
- Program Committee, SHAXC Workshop at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia on April 28-30, 2012.
- Program Committee, International Workshop of GPU Solutions to Multiscale Problems in Science and Engineering, June 1-4, 2012 in Shenzhen, Guangdong, China.
- Program Committee, Synchronization-reducing and Communication-reducing Algorithms and Programming Models for Large-scale Simulations, January 9-13, 2012 at Brown University's ICERM
- Program Committee, NSF Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute, Scientific Computing in the Americas: the challenge of massive parallelism, Valparaiso, Chile, 2011
- Program Committee, FEniCS 2005 in Chicago.